Saturday, November 16, 2013

Old-fashioned Spiced Apple Pie

When we moved into our house a few years ago, the previous original owners (from 1960) left this cookbook behind:
I love to look through it and see Alice's notes. She would date the recipe she tried, then add little phrases like "not bad..." She was the quintessential homemaker and home cook.

Now that I am on maternity leave with our second kid and home with lots of time to be domestic, I am channeling Alice and trying out new recipes.

I'm lucky to be home during the fall again. I think the fall harvest is my favorite: Hearty root vegetables and tree fruits. There have been lots of apples in my fall CSA box from CK Farms (just outside Eugene in Creswell) these last few weeks, so how better to use them than to cover them in sugar and bake in flour and butter. :)

I decided on the Taste of Oregon's old-fashioned spiced apple pie. It seemed different than an average apple pie, but not so different that I had to buy extra ingredients. Here is the recipe:

Save yourself some time and buy (many thrift stores or garage sales have them) or borrow a Pampered Chef apple peeler and corer. So much fun to use!!






The spices in this pie really transform the apples. It has a strong, bold taste that goes really well with light whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. 


I made sure to add the date and "really good" next to the recipe in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment