Saturday, November 16, 2013

Sunday Breakfast Skillet

Some of the best stuff I cook (according to my husband) is when I fry a bunch of stuff together in a skillet on the stovetop. 

I love to cook breakfast on the weekends. After 5 days of microwave oatmeal and toaster waffles, it's fun to put some actual time and care into a meal.

So last Sunday, courtesy of CK farms and my weekly installment of local produce and farm-fresh eggs, I put together a breakfast skillet.

I started by frying up some chicken sausage with diced onion and green pepper. I made sure to season with salt and pepper, but also added (few shakes each) of some garlic salt, thyme and sage.

 I also put some red potatoes in a pan with olive oil, garlic salt and lots of pepper. When the potatoes were almost cooked through, I added fresh chopped garlic for a few minutes. (Adding it too soon can burn the garlic and cook out all the flavor).

I used to add the scrambled eggs straight to the pan with the sausage and veggies, but my husband Ted taught me to scramble the eggs separate and then add the sausage mix at the end. The eggs don't get too broken up or watery that way. 

I topped with a bit of shredded cheddar and served with fruit and toasted Dave's Killer bread. It was a hit with my family!


No comments:

Post a Comment