Monday, November 28, 2011

Breakfast Mini-Quiches with Sausage & Spinach

Today is Monday, and on Thursday I go back to work after a 3-month maternity leave! Been thinking of some last minute things I can make ahead to relieve the stress of feeding myself and our family during what I expect to be a slightly hectic transition.

I came across this great recipe for mini-quiches made in a muffin tin on another blog called "Eat. Drink.Smile". Her recipes are pretty great! 
I pretty much followed her recipe found here: Breakfast of Champions, but I did my own variation of ingredients and spices. This individual size servings are great for portion control, and for freezing and storing then popping into the microwave for a quick and super nutritious breakfast.
These guys are easy to make up 
on a Monday and eat all week!

Substitutions:
Instead of 16 eggs, I used 8 eggs and 2 C. of Egg Beaters.
To the egg/onion/green pepper mixture, I added one package of frozen spinach that had been thawed and drained really well. 
I used about 1/2 pound of my homemade pork sausage instead of a full pound.
For the seasoning, I used 1 t salt, 1 t black pepper, 1/2 t red pepper flakes, 1 t. dried thyme and 1/4 t. nutmeg and 1 t. of minced garlic.
I also used 1 C. of 2% reduced fat shredded Mexican four cheese blend instead of regular cheese.


Note: I have made a batch of these before and sauteed the vegetables first. They turned out pretty juicy and deflated a lot when they cooled. Putting the veggies in raw is my preferred method, since they still get cooked in the oven, and the muffins have a better texture.



These pop out really easily if you 
remember to use a liberal coat 
of cooking spray!
These little guys ended up only being 3 Pt.+ each in the Weight Watchers program, which I just signed up for this week! Looking to skip the holiday pounds this year, and work on getting back in shape after having my baby girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment