Friday, November 18, 2011

CrockPotRoast with Fresh Herbs, Apple and Oatmeal Stout


Pot roast and the Crock Pot were made for each other. If they got married and had a baby they would call it CrockPotRoast. It is so simple and easy to get it going in the morning and come home to a smelly house and a warm meal.

I like to buy pot roasts when they are on BOGO (buy one get one sale)and then freeze them for later. I'll defrost it a day or two before in the fridge, and cook it on a day I know I want a quick meal for dinner.

Cooking a roast in the crock pot is pretty versatile in terms of ingredients. You basically throw some vegetables in the pot, add some herbs and other aromatics to flavor the meat while it cooks, place the roast on top and add some liquid to keep it moist. You can be creative with the ingredients, or just use whatever you have on hand like I did this morning.

Here is the recipe I came up with things I had on hand in my kitchen. I think adding the apple brought a nice sweetness that complimented the other strong flavors. Using the oatmeal stout instead of water or broth added an earthy flavor and kept it extra moist. I used Oatis from Ninkasi, a local brewery here in Eugene that has really great micro-brews, but you could use any kind of beer.

Pot Roast with Fresh Herbs, Apple & Oatmeal Stout

1 C. of baby carrots
1 onion, chopped in large segments
1 apple, peeled and chopped in large segments
4 whole cloves of garlic, peeled
Sprigs of fresh Rosemary, Oregano and Sage
salt & pepper
1 3-4 lb. Pot Roast
3/4 C. Oatmeal Stout

Place the carrots, onion, apple, garlic and fresh herbs on bottom of crock pot. Generously salt and pepper the roast on both sides and place on top of vegetables, then pour in the stout. Cook on low for 5 hours. Serve with a side of roasted potatoes, sweet potatoes or squash (which is in season during the fall and likely to be on sale). I like to roast veggies in the toaster oven with olive oil and sea salt on 375 degrees for 30 minutes (no need to wait for the big oven to heat up).



No comments:

Post a Comment